Each planet has a long list of significations which are further divided into the direction, metals, age, nature, elements, body part / body system, colors, rulership of zodiac signs and the host of other attributes which a good Astrologer has to keep in mind at the time of making the calculations and giving the forecast.
While all planets are given equal attention but it is Mars which is given special attention to check for suddenness in giving bad results - if it is a malefic. At the time of matching the Horoscopes for marriage purposes, it is the presence or absence of Manglik feature which is checked before anything else.
So let us go a little deeper into the nature, functioning, and mode of operation of Mars in a Horoscope. Is it always to be feared or does it have the power to give also?
Mars is the fourth planet from the Sun. It is called Mangal in Hindi, Kujja in Sanskrit. West has named it after the Roman God of War. Mars is also referred to as the Red Planet because of its reddish appearance as seen from Earth. Similarly all the planets are divided into 4 elements of nature - Fire, Earth, Air and Water. Mars is supposed to be a fiery planet.
As the story goes in the Vedic system, Mars is the commander-in-chief of the celestial army. It is therefore, quite natural to associate Mars with action & raw energy, after all it is fiery, hot red and fast (compared to Jupiter and Saturn it is a much faster planet orbiting the Sun).
Hence the influences of Mars can be categorized as follows:
Courage, Valor, ambition, anger, physical strength, leadership, dominance
Administration, Royal, Hot weather, Red Color, Red Flower, Physical Fitness, Mechanical Engineering
Army, Defense, Sports, Weapons, Fire Fighting, Surgery, Physician, Non Vegetarian Food, Archery,
younger brother, combat, burnt place
Blood, Marrow, Surgery, Burns, Bile, hemoglobin, cuts and wounds, Also known as the sign for "maleness,” Mars rules over sexuality and sexual energy
War, Killing, Violence, Fire, Death by accident, accident, Sharp instrument, injury, criticism, cruelty
Does Mars have the duality in its nature?
Yes indeed. Mars has been given the lordship of two zodiac signs - Aries and Scorpio.
Aries is the first zodiac sign and it occupies the first house signifying the new beginnings such as birth. At the same time, the zodiac sign Scorpio falls in the eighth house of the kaalpurush kundali, with symbolism of retreat, death and submerging.
This makes Mars a unique symbol of the natural cycles of life and death.
Is the energy of Mars constructive or destructive?
Energy on its own is never good or bad. Like fire can be used in the kitchen to cook food and also to burn down a huge jungle. Similarly Mars has a key role in giving professions like Soldier, Sports Person, Doctor, Surgeon, Engineer etc. At the same time there has to be a strong role of malefic Mars in making a person dacoit or a murderer.
It is better understood by realizing that the ambition and active energy to compete are the gifts of Mars to a person. Similarly to deal with blood also comes from the influence of Mars. Whether at work or on the field of play, Mars encourages us to face challenges and to be our best -- or better. Hence a favorable Mars can make a person Doctor, Surgeon, Cricketer or a General who makes positive use of assertion and a fearless nature in his line of profession.
A well placed Mars values courage and honor. At the same time too much of a badly placed Mars in the Horoscope can take the form of aggression in the system of a person, making him a criminal.
In general, here are some interesting combinations in Astrology relating to the effects of Mars:
- If Mars is connected to the other fiery planet Sun or the aggressive planet Ketu, then the professions of the native may have something to do with things like furnaces, heaters, solar panels, boilers, ovens, foundry, heat moulding / smelting fierce heat etc.
- Mars and Sun combination and if both well placed and involving the house of profession also, can make the person a very senior army office and also wealthy and rich. This also connects him to Government as well as Administration.
- A good connection of a strong and well placed Mars and Mercury can make the person deal in property and real estate.
- If Mars is positioned in the 7th House of the birth chart, one may tend to pick up arguments or fight with his/ her spouse or business partner.
- People during the dasha of favorably placed Mars may think of buying a property or a vehicle. The exact timing shall be seen from the sub and sub dasha and the transit of the planets.
- Mars in the 1st house is capable of making the person hot blooded and angry. Such is person is easily irritable and rage rushes to nerves. On the positive side, Mars gives passion and courage to fight back in the face of adversity and take quick action.
- Mars in the second house makes the person go in for Hot and spicy foods - as Mars is related to sharp, fiery and prickly nature.
- If Moon and Mars are conjunct or make a combination, it is called Chandra Mangala Yoga. This acts as a powerful factor in establishing one's financial worth. As per the interpretation of the classics “A person born under this Yoga is extremely rich, intelligent and powerful. He has a high self-confidence and this makes him work easily in the most difficult of the situations. Since this is a Yoga related to wealth, the person born in this Yoga is capable of earning money through his own efforts.
Are there Vedic Remedies for afflicted Mars?
As discussed, a well placed and favourable Mars, can make the person rise up to very good levels in Military Services, Police, Sports, Medical Field etc. However, if it is badly placed in a Horoscope, here are a few easy remedies to follow:
- Worship Lord Hanuman
- Drink lots of water.
- Be regular in sports or exercising etc.
- Don't sleep during day time.
- Avoid eating spicy food - especially red chilly
- Do not indulge in smoking.
- Do not eat red meat
- Maintain good relationships with siblings, especially brothers.
- Respect people who work with their own hands and donate money to labourers.
- Donate sweet items like “gur” on Tuesdays.
- Treat respectfully the people of worker class/subordinates etc.
- Donate land
- Donate land for temples or charity institutions.
Also please note that in case someone is going through a serious problem in life, then it's best to consult a good Astrologer for remedies.
In short, like the other seven planets, Mars also matters in a Horoscope; good or bad - one is going to experience these effects with a greater intensity and suddenness. Is it not an astronomical wonder!
You may also like to read Mars-Saturn Conjunction in Scorpio in 2016
In a Vedic Astrology Horoscope, the positions and effect of 9 heavenly bodies are carefully examined. These are the seven planets - Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn along with two nodes - Rahu and Ketu.